We are seeking a product manager to complete designing the specifications for ad blocker fork off of existing adblockers (either Ublock, AdBlock, Privacy Badger, itself a fork of AdBlock, or Perceptual Ad Highlighter) that will have the new features of:
• Allowing a user to opt into receiving paid ads that will appear in the place of blocked ads. Each paid ad will be accompanied by a small micropayment into an account associated with the user’s email address. There will be a PPV micropayment for allowing display of the ad in the browser and there may additionally be a credit for clicking on the ad.
• Upon installation, and via a user accessible setting, the user will be directed to a web page to register their extension with a unique user code (UUC) associated with their email address. This user code will be exchanged with the ad server and may be used to select which ads will be delivered to the user’s browser
• The adblocker will block ads but also check with the AdCredits ad server to see if any ads are in the queue for delivery to the associated UUC.
• Option: can we capture URLs associated with the UUC to facilitate ad targeting. Can we also capture search terms? Can these be stored in the local cookie as a backup or alternative to storing on our own server?
• Option: Credits earned will be stored in the cookie and also transmitted to the AdCredits server where the value will be matched and updated. If not matched,
• Option: We may want to limit each user to one account per email & machine, capturing fingerprint info on the machine & browser and only allowing credits associated with that UUC from that specific browser and machine.
Deliverable – Product Definition and Development Plan
I am seeking a product manager who will research and define the specific technical requirements, expertise requirements, and cost estimates for completing this project, providing a product development plan that will then be used to solicit bids for implementing this project. The product manager, and/or company successfully completing this project will have an opportunity to bid on development, but at this stage, I want help clarifying the end product and the means by which we will get there.
For example, we need to investigate and settle on which open source adblocker we are going to build this fork. We need to decide on the framework on which the server side application will be run and to define the data exchange between the browser plugin and the server, what data will be stored in the database and how ads will be uploaded to the server. The options mentioned above, and elsewhere in this document, must be discussed, investigated and understood in regard to both what is possible, what is practical, and what is cost effective at this stage of developing a minimally viable product.
• Identify chosen adblocker to be modified and the programming skills required
• Identify server side programming skills
• Identify all user flow, including configuration requirements for adblocker and user registration
• Identify functional requirements for each required element, including all data exchanges between the plugin and the server and data storage (server database versus local cookies, for example)
• Create a timeline and milestones for payment that developers bidding on the project will be required to meet.
• Validate and finalize scope for MVP and create a backlog of post-MVP features
• Black and White mockups to visualize the core features for the purpose of defining the scope of the MVP.
• Outline testing plan
• Outline deployment plan
More details are included in the attached document.